Part of the request from ISBE during the ongoing closure is that we make our District Continued Learning Plan available. The plan is below:
Grant CCSD #110
Continued Learning Emergency Plan
- Ensure and verify at least 5 clock hours of instruction or school work, as required under Section 10-19.05, for each student participating in a continued learning day:
- Facilitate access from home or other appropriate remote facility for all students participating.
- Ensure that non-electronic materials are made available for students participating in the program who do not have access to the required technology or to participating teachers or students who are prevented from accessing the required technology.
- Ensure appropriate learning opportunities for students with special needs
- Monitor and verify each student's electronic participation
During continued learning students must be provided work from the teachers they were assigned to see on the missed day from multiple subject areas that equate to no more than 5 hours of participation. The work will be assigned to the students on the emergency day and will be due to be submitted back to the teacher or staff member the following day. Elementary and Middle School Certified Staff:
On an Continued Learning Day*, the 7 and 1/3 hour workday for teachers shall be scheduled as follows unless otherwise directed:
● 8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. - Planning/preparation
● 8:30 a.m. – Learning activities posted and period of availability, student engagement, instruction, supervision and support as needed begins
● 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. - 5-hour block of student engagement, instruction, supervision, monitoring and support as needed
● 1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. - Duty Free
● 2:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Verification/assessment of student work/engagement; planning/prep.
● 3:00 p.m. - 3:20 p.m. - Planning/preparation, professional responsibilities
Social Workers and School Nurses will be available to parents and students on the continued learning day and will be issued an assignment from their building administrator in lieu of planning a lesson.
Reading and Math RTI/ Title -support for teachers during planning Elementary and Middle School
The Specialist/ Case Manager is expected to reach-out, individually, to families of students on their case-load to share activities that coincide with related services.
Students will have assignments to complete in Google classroom on a regular basis or will have assignments and activities available through other platforms like the school website, teacher web page, class Dojo, etc. SPED Co-teachers are typically part of their gen ed teachers Google classroom, therefore, they can assign their students through google classroom and check it when it gets returned. Another option is to create a separate assignment in Google classroom for just the students on their caseload - this could be the modified assignment that they created based on the Gen Ed teachers assignment or it could be something completely different related to one of the students goals. All teachers will be available from home (8:30-1:30) to support student learning and answer any questions.
The school staff will work with individual families to accommodate as needed. If there is a power outage or another issue out of the families control; staff will work with the student/parent to make arrangements for an opportunity for the work to be completed. Parents should reach out to staff to make these arrangements.
Students with special needs will have assignments modified or provided based on their IEP goals from their special education teacher or related service provider.
All work will be posted on the delivery platforms by 8:30am on the continued education day. The work will need to be completed and turned in either electronically or in paper form to verify the student’s participation
Address the extent to which student participation is within the student's control as to the time, pace, and means of learning
Student Participation will vary based on the grade level:
● For Early Childhood and Kindergarten students will be engaged for 45 min
● For Grades 1-2, students will be engaged for 60 minutes
● For Grades 3-4, students will be engaged for 90 minutes
● For Grades 5-8, students will be engaged for approximately 120 minutes (45 min for ELA/Social Studies, 45 min for Math/Science, 15 minutes for FLES or EL and 15 min for PE/Specials)
The ISBE Guidance during the recent closure suggest the following times for each grade level.
PreK 20 - 60 min/day
K 30 - 90 min/day
1-2 45 - 90 min/day
3-5 60 - 120 min/day
6-8 Class: 15-30 min/day, total 90-180 min/day
7. Provide effective notice to students and their parents or guardians of the use of particular days for continued learning. Communication will go to parents explaining our plan for the year and it will be posted on our website.
8. Provide staff and students with adequate training for continued learning days' participation
A Q and A document was created to explain the continued learning day participation and procedures.
9. Ensure that all teachers and staff who may be involved in the provisions of continued learning have access to any and all hardware and software that may be required for the program
All teachers have been assigned a laptop or chromebook for use at school and at home. Teachers and specialists will be available for support from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm
● Parents/students can email their teacher/specialist, do a virtual chat with their teacher in Google, or post a question in Google classroom.